Christ, the Good Shepherd
               Parish,  Campbell, Ohio

ST. LUCY CHURCH



NAVIGATION

All parish offices and mailing addresses are located at 394 Tenney Avenue, Campbell, Ohio  44405
History of St. Lucy Church














Campbell, Ohio became the home to immigrant families from many lands—Czechoslovakia, Poland, Germany, Greece, and Italy. The community was a melting pot of people following different traditions, yet commonly sharing fortitude, courage, strong faith, and love for God. 
The Italians and many other immigrants settled to harvest the prosperity of the steel mills that thrived along the Mahoning River. The Italians recognized the need for a church of their own in the city and so in 1933 a group of Italian-Americans committed themselves to the ardent task of establishing a Church to serve the needs of the Italian community. The group of faithful people agreed to call themselves The Italian Catholic Society. They petitioned Bishop Schrembs of the Cleveland Diocese in 1937 with plans for a new church. Bishop Schrembs recognized the sincerity of their goals and their request was granted. On June 18, 1937, St. Lucy Church was organized.
On June 26, 1937 Father John Iammarino, who was selected pastor of this newly-formed Church by Bishop Schrembs, celebrated the first Mass of St. Lucy Church. The new parishioners committed countless hours and steadfast labor to transform the facilities of the modest building known as “The Italian Lodge” on the corner of Twelfth Street and Gordon Avenue, into the First St. Lucy Church.  Proudly and officially, the Italian Parish of St. Lucy was established on the fourth Sunday of October, the Feast Day of Christ the King, in 1937.
Having successfully achieved their intent, The Italian Catholic Society disbanded, thus giving birth to a new organization known as the Men’s Society of St. Lucy, or “The Congrega”. The Pastor and congregation were anxious to fulfill their initial purpose: to make Church the core of their families and community, so in the Spring of 1940, at a meeting of the Men’s Society, the subject matter of building a new church facility arose. Initially, Father Iammarino felt that times were too hard because of the Depression to ask families to pledge to a building fund. The Men’s Society asked Father Iammarino to call a meeting of the heads of families to gather in the church basement to discuss the possibility of undertaking a building fund campaign. Unselfishly, and characteristically of this devout congregation, $5,600.00 was pledged that evening. Astounded by the commitment he witnessed, Father Immarino moved forward with creating a fund-raising committee.
Two more organizations were formed to sustain the pace led by the Men’s Society. The Altar/Rosary Society was formed to care for the celebrant’s vestments, altar linens, the sanctuary, purchase altar breads, wine, server’s albs, and other needs. The League of the Sacred Heart was founded to inspire religious devotion and to actively participate in all church functions.
In October, 1942 Father Iammarino was transferred to a parish in Cleveland and Father Joseph Palermo, a native of Cleveland arrived in Campbell as the newly appointed Pastor. Father Palermo was informed of the growing building fund and he now shared his parishioner’s dream of a new church building.
Another major change happened at this time. The Diocese of Youngstown was proclaimed by Pope Pius XII with Bishop James A. McFadden as head of the newly-formed Diocese, of which St. Lucy Church would be a part.
The land on the corner of Twelfth Street and Tenney Avenue was acquired, but the purchase depleted the building fund. Father Palermo and the parishioners knew that a more creative way to raise funds would need to be undertaken. Many Church activities were sponsored to raise funds, but none as successful as the outdoor Assumption Festival which would eventually become part of Campbell history. After three successful building fund campaigns, St. Lucy Church finally completed its journey toward building a new Church. On July 10, 1949 with Bishop McFadden officiating, a ground-breaking ceremony was held. The cornerstone was laid March 19, 1950 and two years and several months later the Church was complete. At 10:00 a.m. on October 26, 1952, the dedication of St. Lucy Church was held with a Mass and a luncheon following. The Church was magnificent. The dominant feature of the exterior which welcomed the parishioners as they entered the front doors, was the glorious glazed tile mural of St. Lucy, by sculpture George Koren.
In 1955 a new organization was founded. This group of devoted followers was called the Infant Jesus of Prague Guild. They adopted a mission ‘to advance the spiritual life in every Catholic home, to foster among all the love of the Divine Child, especially parents, to encourage the love of the Holy Infancy and their own children’.
The parish family continued to grow. Many new people of all nationalities joined the congregation. The annual Assumption festivities continued to grow. Father Palermo recognized the need for an additional building, particularly and activity center. On May 30, 1976, a new Parish Center, which was entirely debt-free, was dedicated. The parishioners thanked Father Palermo for his unyielding leadership and spiritual guidance, which they felt was the essence of their success. In the Spring of 1979, after 47 years of priesthood, Father Palermo’s health was failing. Sadly, he announced his retirement effective July 1, 1979. Only two days after his official retirement, Father Palermo received the gift of eternal life.
In the years that followed the completion of the Parish Center other improvements to St. Lucy Church grounds were continuous. In the Summer of 1997 it became necessary to demolish the original Parish House in order to construct the present-day rectory with attached two car garage. A new pipe organ was obtained using a 17-rank pipe organ being sold by St. Paul Lutheran Church in Youngstown.
St. Lucy Church began as a dream of Italian-American immigrants living in the City of Campbell, Ohio. These immigrants had one common denominator:  their faith. Just as the Church played an integral part in the daily lives of Italians in their native provinces, the Italian immigrants wanted to ensure that the Church would become the core of their new-found homes and community. They brought the familiar designs and customs of their homeland to their worship and activities at St. Lucy. It was for the love of God, the love of St. Lucy, the love of Church and the love of their families that parishioners sacrificed over the years to allow St. Lucy Church to grow and reach a goal that was set many years ago.
Rev. John Iammarino, 1937-1942
Rev. Joseph Palermo, 1942-1979
Rev. Joseph Tamburrini, 1979-1985
Rev. Joseph Beene, 1985-1992
Rev. Stephen Popovich, 1992-1995
Rev. John Trimbur, 1995-1996
Msgr. John Ashton, 1996-2009
Rev. Gerald DeLucia, 2009-2011
Rev. Joseph Ruggieri, 2011-Present
Now Merged as Christ, the Good Shepherd Parish.
PASTORS OF ST. LUCY CHURCH
Rev. John Iammarino, 1937-1942
Rev. Joseph Palermo, 1942-1979
Rev. Joseph Tamburrini, 1979-1985
Rev. Joseph Beene, 1985-1992
Rev. Stephen Popovich, 1992-1995
Rev. John Trimbur, 1995-1996
Msgr. John Ashton, 1996-2009
Rev. Gerald DeLucia, 2009-2011
Rev. Joseph Ruggieri, 2011-Present
Now Merged as Christ, the Good Shepherd Parish.
Contact Us:
St. Lucy Catholic Church
Physical address: 394 Tenney Avenue
Mailing address & Parish Office: 394 Tenney Avenue
Campbell, OH  44405
330-755-4132
FAX: 330-755-1367
Hall: 330-755-4545
Palermo CenterLiturgical Minister Schedule

ST. LUCY  PAGES 
(click on link to view)
St. John the Baptist Church
159 Reed Avenue
Campbell, OH  44405
Hall: 330-755-0036


St. Joseph the Provider Church
633 Porter Avenue
Campbell, OH  44405
Hall & Friday Pierogi Sales: 330-755-1316
St. Lucy Church
394 Tenney Avenue
Campbell, OH  44405
Palermo Center: 330-755-4545
Sta. Rosa de Lima Church
394 Tenney Avenue
Campbell, OH  44405
Hispanic Ministry: 330-755-3633

394 Tenney Avenue  •  Campbell, Ohio 44405  •  330-755-4141 (phone)  •  330-755-1367 (fax)  •  330-755-3633 (Hispanic ministry)